Sunday, October 18, 2009

This Week at the Theaters

So I caught two whole movies today with a couple of friends. It has been a while since I had made it out to the theater. Scratch that--I saw Paranormal Activity earlier this week (maybe I should talk about it also....
This was a pretty fun movie. I'm not one to get scared by films, but I do have to admit that I found myself caught up in this shaky-cam-spook-fest. It creates such a great atmosphere that this faux documentary almost had me believing it was real. I think it really excelled at building up tension.

What it's like: The Blair Witch Project meets all those ghost hunter shows on t.v. But I say it takes the best of both those worlds. And doesn't suck like the Blair Witch Project.
Been waiting a while to see this one. Anyone who knows me, knows I am a sucker for zombie flicks. And this one didn't disappoint. A cool stylization with several slow-motion sequences mixed together with a some of the best writing in a Zombie movie to date. I can't think of any movie that has made me laugh as hard as this one did this year.

What it's like: Shaun of the Dead minus characters as likable as Shaun and the rest of his English crew but with some better zombie action sequences whilst not being too gory. I really wanted to like this movie more than I did. It was just... okay. Don't get me wrong, it is a VERY beautiful film. The costumes are great. The environments are engrossing. The characters are believable. The minimal use of CG was wonderfully integrated. The Max kid who plays Max is marvelous. But the story lacks severely--especially in the middle. And the majority of its characters remain grossly underdeveloped. GREAT atmosphere though--and as far as I am concerned, there were far too many close to medium shots. You only rarely get a sense of the surroundings and of the creatures in their entirety, which is a shame because in a movie as artfully conceived as this one, you want to be able to see EVERYTHING.

What it's like: Alice in Wonderland sans the White Rabbit who acts as a driving point for the story. Max falls into his wonderland and the story stagnates for a while until he learns what he needs to.

No comments:

Post a Comment