Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Man Behind the Dinosaurs

James Gurney of author and illustrator fame for Dinotopia spoke at CSUF earlier this morning. And what a speaker he is! The premise of his lecture was basically on his work process much like his new book:
So far, it's a great book that extends beyond goofy goblins--it covers classical draftsmanship, futuristic settings, historical events, thumbnailing, plein air, and so much more.

It was a great presentation. He is such a nice and approachable guy. I even git my book signed!
The morning was definitely the highlight of my day (and week and probably month--but the Eric Goldberg event may have been a better overall day...)

As far as my drawing goes, today was an off day. I didn't do anything worth mentioning. Brandon let us out early, and I went for a few more hours of life drawing with the PMC. Although I did have some more successful pieces, they weren't anything special.

Today has just been one of those days....

P.S. For more Gurney goodness, check out his blog.

1 comment:

  1. Man, I think it's so crazy that he just sketched that as quickly as he signed his name!

    ReplyDelete