Friday, November 13, 2009

Rainy Day Special

So every now and I again I make a drawing and I can see where my skills are leading me toward. And when I did this super-woman drawing in my life drawing class, I got that feeling again. It was my last drawing of the day and after the 3 hours of so of doing life drawing, my instructor asked us to do a quick sketch of a cloaked figure from imagination (we had been focusing on drapery/cloth on the model).

In the 3-5 minutes we were given, this is what I came up with. I approached it like I approach every drawing and I feel like it's a culmination of everything I have been learning and practicing when it comes to life drawing:

Quick armature lay-in from head to toe, simple shapes for the large portions of the body, keep the figure balanced, keep the energy flowing on the page

Now, this is a gestural drawing, meaning it is more a focus on action, movement, life, energy, emotion, and mood. And on my good days, I can get 5 min drawings of the model to be far superior to this one--but because this was a quick sketch from imagination, I could really see how far I have come. And well, I know I still have quite a ways to go to get my skills up, drawings like this one make me feel like I am on the right track.

The only problem is I find myself drawing things that make me feel like I digressing more then progressing. Example: Only really feel good about work that am I doing in 1 out of 3 of my classes......

With that said, here's more life drawing!



No comments:

Post a Comment