Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cali the Explorer

(move over Boots, Dora has a new bff!)

Yesterday was my first official day interning at Nickelodeon and I am almost embarrassed to admit how excited I was for it. You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me while I was there though. I think I kept it in pretty well. On the outside, I was eager yet courteous, friendly and efficient. But on the inside... on the inside I was all smiles--the giddy kind.


On the inside, I was a total Kenneth... I guess in more ways then one. Like him, I am smack at the bottom of the television totem pole but I couldn't be more excited to be doing my part (no matter how very small it is).

I think I had a bit of a moment while I was hole punching paper and binding storyboard thumbnails and I realized that I was helping out at an actual animation studio. And I remembered how much I have always wanted to do that ever since I was just a little kid. And here I am trying to get my foot into the animation industry. I think that is where the giddiness comes from--my sheer LOVE for cartoons and tv. Almost felt like a teenage school girl again (it's a complicated history of mine...)
To be honest, I am perfectly fine with being an errand boy for now. I know some day (probably sooner then later) I'll want to have a job where I am actually an artist, but I have a feeling this is going to be a very positive experience. And well--I have a thing about freshly copied paper. I love the way smells and how warm it is when it comes out the copier--whenever I make my own personal copies anywhere, they are usually promptly removed and placed directly on my face...

And I think Dora is great for the kids. and on the plus side, Mexicans haven't had a good leading lady/heroine since... well....

A little known secret about myself (the internet is a good place to keep secrets, right?) I have seen my fair share of episodes of Dora the Explorer. Rosie, my little sister, was a big fan when she was younger and I would sit and watch it with her. And I found myself playing along with Dora even when Rosie had already left the room for other activities.

And you know who else likes Dora?

Lily does.
So maybe it will score kudos points with her. But chances are she wont care as long as she gets to break my stuff, she seems happy...

Anyways, there will be so much more for me to take in within the coming weeks. More holes to punch, copies to makes, papers to scan. And I will do it the best I know how. Then I will reign as KING of the office equipment!

(apologies to Frazetta)

1 comment: