Sunday, November 28, 2010

AFI's #35

Annie Hall
(1977)

Choosing my movies based on availability and whatever the hell I feel like, I am kicking off the list with Woody Allen's Annie Hall.

Within the first few minutes of the movie, I had the feeling that I wasn't going to enjoy the movie very much. I think it had to do with the fact that it started with an introductory monologue by Woody Allen--and quite frankly there is something about his person that I find disturbing to watch. But once the movie really got started with its wonderful 4th-wall-breaking asides, long unabridged shots, and quirky meandering story telling, I found myself drawn into it much more.

The main characters are awkward, cynical, distraught, and confused--and they feel far more real because of it. For a movie that is mostly comprised of long scenes of dialogue, there is plenty of variety to keep interested.

It's also pretty neat to see actors when they were much younger. Including the likes of Jeff Golblum, Christopher Walken, and I guess Sigourney Weaver (though I seemed to missed her entirely when I watched the movie).

("What's my mantra?)

All in all I liked it. And I can see why many people regard it as their favorite Woody Allen movie. I dunno if I could pass a judgment like that--he has so many freakin' movies and I have seen so few of them. But of the ones I have seen, I can say this is one my favorites. Vicky Cristina Barcelona may have something to say about it, but I'm pretty sure it's just my hots for Penelope Cruz talking....

(Aren't Al Hirschfeld caricatures wonderful? I sure think so)

No comments:

Post a Comment